How to Install Windows 7 with only USB 3.0 Ports

Installing Windows 7 from USB drive using USB 3.0 ports

Background

If you have tried to install Windows 7 using a USB Flash Drive on a system that only has USB 3.0 ports, you might have found that you couldn’t get past the Language Select screen of the installer as your keyboard and mouse didn’t work.  I recently had this problem when trying to install Win 7 onto my Gigabyte Brix XM12-3227.

Gigabyte Brix

The keyboard and mouse worked great in the BIOS, but as soon as the Windows 7 installation media loaded and presented that familiar Language Select screen, I had no cursor or keyboard.  I tried a couple of other things, like grabbing an older PS/2 keyboard and connecting it via a PS/2 to USB adapter. Same problem.  It was at this point I decided to start Googling my problem, and low and behold I quickly discovered that Windows 7 does not have drivers for USB 3.0 built in.  In fact, it doesn’t even know what to do with those ports once the BIOS hands over control to the installer image.  If your BIOS has an option to turn off USB 3.0, that is probably the easiest option. However, my GIGABYTE BRIX had no such option that I could find.

Well, I didn’t give up, I knew there had to be a way to add the necessary drivers to the installer, and it turns out there is!  Adding support for USB 3.0 also works great if you want to install from a fast USB 3.0 flash drive! The entire install takes about 5 minutes with one of those.

Step by Step Walk-Through

1. Get the right USB 3.0 Drivers

For your installer to work with your computer, make sure you grab the proper USB 3.0 drivers.  My motherboard used Intel USB 3.0 drivers, and so I downloaded the latest version from Intel’s site. Look up your Motherboard’s drivers and see which ones you need.  For convenience, I’ve added the latest drivers (as of the time of writing) for the most common USB 3.0 controllers.  If you are unsure which drivers you need or have multiple computers, you can grab all of them.

2. Extract the Drivers

Once you download the drivers, we will need to make a folder for the drivers we want to slipstream into our installation media.  For the purpose of this example lets just call it “USB3 Fix.”

Step 1 Create New Folder

Inside that folder create two separate folders: “USB3” and “mount”.

Screenshot of two folders

Now extract all the drivers into that USB3 folder.

Extract the drivers to the USB3 folder

3. Get the “boot.wim” and “install.wim” files

** Thanks for all the comments pointing out that you also need to update the install.wim file! **

Next, we need to get the files we need to install/add the drivers on. Open up your USB thumb drive that has your Windows 7 image on it and navigate to the Sources folder.  Move the “boot.wim” file and “install.wim” into your “USB3 Fix” folder we created earlier.

4. Update the “boot.wim” and “install.wim” Files

Open up your cmd shell as an administrator.  (Click Start on Windows 7, or Windows Key + Q on Windows 8, type in “cmd” and then right-click on the cmd application and choose Run as Administrator.)

Once open, navigate to the USB3_Fix folder in the cmd shell, and type in the following commands in this order to update the boot.wim file:

It should look something like thisscreenshot of the command prompt after running each command

Next, do the same thing to the “install.wim” file.  This file has a couple of different index values depending on what type of Windows you are installing.  You can list all the indexes and their contents by typing in:

It will give you the output of the different installers and their indexes:

install.wim Indexes

If you want to update all of them you will have to repeat the below process for the indexes you want to update.  For me, I’m just installing Windows 7 Professional, so I’m only going to update that one.

If you are encountering dism errors when trying to run the above commands make sure that the wim files unmounted successfully by running the following command:

After that command finishes, try mounting the wim that was giving you errors again and adding the drivers.

*Thanks to Jason for pointing out the dism /cleanup-wim command.  For more information about troubleshooting wim mounting see this excellent post.

5. Replace the “boot.wim” and “install.wim” files

Now you’re done! Simply place the modified “boot.wim” and “install.wim” file back into the “sources” directory on your Win 7 iso bootable USB thumb drive and everything should work as expected!

Hope this saves people the 30 minutes it took me to find a solution that worked!  Thanks go to Rakeesh, who originally posted this workaround at forums.mydigitallife.info.

Travis Payton

Travis Payton

Is a Computer Scientist and Japanese scholar who enjoys programming, video games, and living life.He currently works at the University of Alaska Fairbanks, and does freelance programming and translation work on the side.
Travis Payton

229 comments for “How to Install Windows 7 with only USB 3.0 Ports

1. Len
    December 1, 2016 at 11:34 am

It has been over a month now since I’ve started trying to install Win7 on z170/i5 6600k. Needless to say, I got some 50% less hair now than when I started. I’ll try your way and hope it works as I DO NOT want W10.
    Thanks

2. Anonymous
    November 30, 2016 at 5:04 am

Thank you very much!!! Was working for my ASUS UX305!

3. Nicolás
    November 28, 2016 at 7:45 pm

Thanks a lot! Now installing Windows 7 on a Dell Inspiron 14 3459, using the original USB3.0 drivers from Dell website (http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER03851003M/4/Chipset_Driver_CWGRX_WN32_4.0.6.60_A04_01.EXE)

4. SFH
    November 28, 2016 at 2:45 am

I tried with the USB 3.0 drivers from official website of lenovo E460, manually with Boot.wim and Install.wim but no luck. What are the correct drivers for IBM Lenovo USB 3.0 ?

5. thomas
    November 23, 2016 at 11:40 pm

works as described and saved me a lot of time,
    thanks a lot

6. SRH
    November 11, 2016 at 7:31 am

Pure Genius!! Romano’s tool work perfect! Great Job!

7. Anonymous
    November 6, 2016 at 1:21 pm

Thank you!! Everything worked in less than 20 min.

8. Anonymous
    November 5, 2016 at 2:58 am

I have a noob question: I have USB2 on my motherboard and can install Win7 without streamlining, but I’d like to be able to install from the USB3 ports. Problem is, it’s an AMD board without the original driver disc. The Renesas driver I downloaded for my motherboard has a different directory structure and does not have a neat “Drivers” folder as in the example given above. Neither does the Renesas driver downloaded from the link given here. The sub-directories and files are all very different. What do I do?

• November 11, 2016 at 5:17 am

The point is to identify where the .cat and .inf files are. If you get only an .exe, you can either extract it (with 7zip, for instance) and it that doesn’t work, then go to run, execute %temp%, then execute the driver installation wizard and pay attention to the folder it creates (that’s how I did when installing my usb 3.1 for dell xps). There you should find the necessary drivers in a format that dism can identify.

9. Dave
    November 3, 2016 at 12:06 am

Awesome, it works! Thanks a lot mate!111!!! 🙂

10. Anonymous
    October 24, 2016 at 12:28 am

If dism /cleanup-wim command doesn’t work, we can try and restart our machine. If that doesn’t work we can try and use another mount folder. If that does not work, we have to clear all our temporary directories, and also in Registry browse to “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WIMMount\Mounted Images” and delete any keys below this. Found this at: http://www.utilizewindows.com/mount-and-unmount-windows-7-image-using-imagex-and-dism/

11. Anonymous
    October 19, 2016 at 9:55 am

I added the USB 3.0 driver to the USB Stick installation ISO, at start i can use mouse and keyboard but when its going to the setup screen mous and keyboard are once again gone i cannot type in anything or click on anything with the mous, i have a Intel NUC with only USB 3.0 how do i solve this??

• Wendy
      October 19, 2016 at 11:52 am

See the post from snowylake. That’s the tip that finally resolved it for me. I could get it installed but when it asked for a name, I was stuck. Good luck!

12. Anonymous
    October 18, 2016 at 1:32 am

Thanks, it is working fine. The only issue I had was that I need to work on a local drive instead of the USD drive.

13. Fred
    October 17, 2016 at 11:57 pm

This didn’t work at all for me. I kept getting errors about the mount image not being accessible. I also have no idea if these are even the right drivers for my machine and I have no way of knowing which ones I need >:(

14. Anonymous
    October 14, 2016 at 9:52 am

Thank you so much for this wonderful guide. Just FYI for others out there, these steps also work for Zotac ZBox CI323 (Intel Celeron N3150) as well. I never could figure out why their tool wasn’t working for a Windows 7 install for me. These steps got me fixed right up. Pay attention to the comments from others about making sure to download the correct Intel set and about unblocking ALL the needed files from x32 and x64 (cat, sys, inf, etc)

15. Pingback: Anonymous
  16. Wendy
    October 7, 2016 at 2:18 pm

I can’t thank you enough for this information. It allowed me to get past the install screen with a working mouse and keyboard. Unfortunately when I get to the Set Up Windows screen I no longer have a working mouse and keyboard.

I’ve recreated the USB stick multiple times using both the Intel USB3 drivers and the HP drivers. Still no joy. I’ve tried every tool to make the USB stick that I could find thinking that maybe I was not using the correct commands even though I was copying and pasting them into the Admin command prompt.

I have even tried to load the drivers using the Repair Windows as part of the install process. Still no mouse or keyboard to Set Up Windows.

This is a brand new HP Envy 750-120. I really need to get Windows 7 on it but I’m out of ideas at this point. I did try to update (downgrade) the BIOS to the Win7 BIOS but it won’t allow it because I have a newer BIOS on there.

Anyone have an idea on what I’m missing? Thank you for anyone who can help me see the forest for the trees. I’m probably missing something obvious.

• snowylake
      October 7, 2016 at 7:26 pm

Both HP Envy 750-120 & HP ProDesk 400 G2 Desktop Mini PC are skylake systems which are the 6th generation processors with 100 series chipset.

Intel’s USB drivers are divided into 2 groups, 7 series chipset (3rd generation processor, Ivy Bridge), and everything else after that (8,9,100 chipset, 4-6th generation processor, haswell/broadwell/skylake).

The link provided above is solely for the 7 series chipset. Anything later than that you need a different driver.
      Note that you cannot include both set of Intel USB drivers in the Windows 7 installation, they will clash, just pick the one that you need. For most people that should be the driver for the 8/9/100 series chipset.

If someone figured out how to resolve the clash, I’ll be interested to know. It probably has to do with Intel using the same name for both set of drivers.

Try this link :

• Wendy
        October 7, 2016 at 10:28 pm

Thank you, thank you!! That was the piece I was missing in all of this. Now I can enjoy my weekend and get this computer to the client on Monday.

17. Anonymous
    October 7, 2016 at 8:34 am

This worked great for my HP ProDesk 400 G2 Desktop Mini PC, except I had to use the USB 3.0 drivers from HP’s Driver site (the drivers from the Intel site linked above did not work).

18. Romano P
    September 16, 2016 at 3:56 am

This is what worked for me because the Intel tool does not work on Windows 7.

1) Create a W7 bootable USB
    2) Download the Gigabyte Windows Image Tool: http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Utility/mb_utility_windowsimagetool.zip
    3) Open the Tool, No source, Destination Path of the USB Drive, Mark Add UDB Drivers..

Hope this helps!

• Romano P
      September 16, 2016 at 3:58 am

Before I forget. The tool told me at the end that it could not add the drivers. But it actually did and I’m finally installing W7.

• Mikel
        September 30, 2016 at 3:40 pm

Romano, you are my guardian angel, undoubtedly.
        No matter what I did, nothing helps me to install Win 7, I was figure out for days (also lots of frustration).
        It was only your method that finally gives me the success to installing the desire Win 7 on my new laptop.
        Well done!

• Marco
      October 25, 2016 at 11:12 pm

You are the best, mate! It magically worked for me. Thank you 😀

19. Anonymous
    September 6, 2016 at 9:36 am

il marche tres bien merci infiniment

20. Raj
    August 23, 2016 at 1:37 pm

Great great post. appreciated. Really good.

21. Anonymous
    August 16, 2016 at 1:02 pm

There is now an Intel Windows 7 USB 3.0 Creator Utility (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility) to add USB3 drivers to bootable Windows 7 installation USB media.

August 16, 2016 at 1:03 pm

Note: Requires access to a Windows 8.1 or 10 computer to run the utility.

August 19, 2016 at 8:41 am

When I attempted this on a Win10 machine, the utility crashed the “FlashUtility” and shut down. I’ve been looking for version 2.0 of the creator utility but can’t find it.

• Synonymous
          August 29, 2016 at 5:13 am

Same here Win10. The Intel utility stops at the very end & returns “Flash Stopped Working”. I disabled USB Suspension in my advanced Power Settings and tried again to no avail. Same message, “Flash Stopped Working.” Now reading tutorials to do it manually.

• allmat
      October 27, 2016 at 12:20 pm

I’ve just bought a Zotac Zbox Nano C1323 and wanted to install Windows 7 Ultimate via a USB stick. Like other posters I found the keyboard and mouse disappeared once the language setup screen appeared. The Intel Windows 7 USB 3.0 Creator Utility worked seamlessly for me, using an HP Pavilion laptop running Windows 10. I’m now installing my OS.

22. Hello
    August 13, 2016 at 6:44 pm

Thank you man!

23. Reuben P
    August 7, 2016 at 3:15 pm

Hi mate thanks heaps for the help! i was able to add the drivers to the boot.wim file successfully but was unable to add the drivers to any version of the install.wim file as it came up with errors, after a lot of digging this was because when you download the driver files from the manufacturer website your computer will automatically “Block” these files/inf files so you will need to go through the driver files one by one and right click on them, select properties then there should be a check box down the bottom to unblock the file.

• September 6, 2016 at 3:50 pm

You, sir, are an effing life saver!! I could not for the life of me figure out why it wouldn’t install to install.wim!! Thank you!!

• CLS
      October 1, 2016 at 6:50 pm

You are my new favorite person.

October 12, 2016 at 8:57 am

You sir are the real mvp.

• Fred
      October 17, 2016 at 11:39 pm

nailed it! Thanks!

24. Jack
    August 5, 2016 at 5:45 am

Not sure what the problem is and I’ll be looking around for a solution..but when I go to put the install.wim on the the “usb3” it returns an error for all 6 pieces saying “the driver package could not be installed.” checked the error log but not sure what to look for in there…

• Reuben P
      August 7, 2016 at 3:07 pm

Hey mate, had the exact same issue as you, the reason why these errors are coming up is because when you download the driver package, all the files inside the folder will be “blocked” by windows security. To unlock them you need right click on all the .inf, .cat and all the other driver files individually and open properties, then check the box to unblock the file.

• MMM
        August 14, 2016 at 6:32 pm

Gah. Thanks Reuben. I was doing this manual thing after the Gigabyte tools was failing. Then this manual thing failed until I unlocked these. It’s entirely possible that’s why the initial gigabyte tool was failing. Anyways, some sanity regained. Thanks.

25. Marta
    July 30, 2016 at 8:04 pm

You are awesome!! Everything is explained simply and it works!

26. Prasad
    July 27, 2016 at 1:45 am

Hi, while I try this command to add windows 7 with usb 3.0; am getting unmount error. 0xc1420127. Can you please help me out this error…

• Raj
      August 23, 2016 at 1:42 pm

Try ‘dism /cleanup-wim’ before running them.

27. colhic
    July 24, 2016 at 3:23 pm

Gigabyte Brix users – note that if you download the USB drivers from Intel (i.e. the latest ones) as specified in the article, this may not work for your machine.

You need to go to Gigabyte’s Brix driver download area and download the USB drivers listed under your specific Brix model.

This didn’t work for my 3150 Brix until I used these drivers.

Brix driver download page: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/list.aspx?s=47&ck=104

28. victor
    July 21, 2016 at 7:08 am

Travis! What a small world! Remember me from Lucas? I was looking for instructions on this process and came across your article. Great work!! It’s so nice to see you prospering.

• July 21, 2016 at 7:17 pm

Of course I remember you! Wow, really is a small world! How goes things? Hope the blog post helped!

29. Anonymous
    July 19, 2016 at 8:23 pm

Thank you! This page literally saved me hours!!

30. Khaled Al-Ghanim
    July 16, 2016 at 11:32 am

Thank you!!! this really helped me 🙂

31. Anonymous
    July 13, 2016 at 3:33 pm

Thank you!!! this really helped me

32. Matthew Nichols
    July 13, 2016 at 8:58 am

I followed the instruction and got Windows 7 to install, got a mouse to work the usb to recognize etc… After that when it gets to the screen where you name it the mouse no longer works, I can’t get usb 3.0 drivers after that. What should I do next? Thanks for all the help.

33. Anonymous
    July 11, 2016 at 2:45 pm

Worked flawlessly. I extracted the Intel drivers from my motherboard CD rather than the link you provided. Wish I would have thought to do this the first time around (with only a single PS/2 port). Thanks very much!

34. Anonymous
    July 8, 2016 at 12:14 pm

I have to say that this method works but not on every Win image. I have original Win image and everything worked like a charm. Installer went straight to Policy Agreement. Unfortunately my key didn’t work and I had to try different image. There was no problem to add the USB3 driver but it didn’t make any difference.

35. Anonymous
    July 6, 2016 at 2:12 am

Tried this and didn’t work 🙁
    Thanks for the info though 🙂

36. Anonymous
    July 5, 2016 at 3:10 pm

If ASUS had so inquisitive engineers, thanks mate.
    Now i can go sleep toninhgt, You saved me.

37. Anonymous
    July 1, 2016 at 9:59 am

i followed the same steps however i am facing the same issue

38. June 27, 2016 at 10:28 pm

Unfortunately this doesn’t work for me 🙁 Everything completes successfully but once it gets to the install screen nothing works again.. Anyone know what’s happening?

• anonomous
      September 9, 2016 at 9:20 am

Unfortunately this does not work for me either. when I try to add the drivers I get “an error orrcurred while attempting to start the servicing process for the image located at………”

any ideas?

39. Anonymous
    June 24, 2016 at 10:47 am

got an error winload.exe missing or corrupted after this..

40. Anonymous
    June 21, 2016 at 10:18 am

Exelente post me funciono a la primera y de maravilla, saludos y muchas gracias por el tip

41. Mike
    June 20, 2016 at 6:51 am

If you receive “The driver package contains x64 boot-critical drivers, but the drivers are not properly signed” when adding VIA drivers, add “/forceunsigned” (without quotes) after “/recurse”

• prabindh
      July 19, 2016 at 1:14 am

This needs to be done for Intel drivers also …

42. Redso
    June 17, 2016 at 6:03 am

as i pressed on “post comment”, it came into my mind that it must been a temp folder for mounting the wim file. 🙂

• June 17, 2016 at 7:54 am

Yup, it’s what’s passed to the mountdir: parameter in the DISM commands 🙂

43. Redso
    June 17, 2016 at 6:02 am

thanks for this. 🙂
    Why do i have to create a mount folder in the usb3fix one? In your explanation is no sign of using it?

44. B
    June 15, 2016 at 5:33 am

am interested if anyone knows if there is an installer/index that I can use for Enterprise ED? is it the same as the PRO or the Ultimate?

• B
      June 15, 2016 at 8:45 am

Hello, I found it by using the DISM GUI utility Thanks

45. asd
    June 15, 2016 at 2:01 am

Damn, spent few hours trying to figure out the problem and finally found this guide which worked. Thank you!

46. george
    June 14, 2016 at 7:13 pm

This is completely wrong, you are adding 2 arch of the same driver, x86 and x64.

• June 14, 2016 at 8:08 pm

Sorry, guess I wasn’t clear. When I wrote proper drivers for your motherboard, I meant the proper drivers for the version of Windows 7 you are trying to install on that motherboard.

47. Anonymous
    June 8, 2016 at 7:55 pm

Thank you… was able to get Win7 on my Gigabyte Brix thanks to your tutorial. Cheers!

48. spc
    June 8, 2016 at 4:39 pm

I did this process exactly like described for both WIM files without any error.
    How is it possible that I still got missing driver problem after clicking install???

The driver has to be fine, after installing of OS from DVD it is working well.

btw. none of the utils from intel or asrock does work for me 🙁

49. June 7, 2016 at 12:27 pm

Thanks for linking to my guide on disabling USB 3.0 in the UEFI BIOS. I have made an updated guide which instructs in converting a DVD into a .iso, slipstreaming Windows 7 SP2 (or “convenience rollup”) and adding USB 3.0 support using the Intel utility. It took a while to test:

50. dillon
    May 12, 2016 at 11:34 pm

For all of those with the issue of ERROR 5 could not install driver packages etc … you have to go into the driver folders you are trying to install and right click on every single file individually, hit properties and then click unblock. Do this for every single file and you will soon be able to install it.

• OlssN
      June 17, 2016 at 11:47 am

+++ Was going nuts!

• Twitch
      June 29, 2016 at 8:30 am

Thank you!

July 21, 2016 at 2:36 am

Thank you.

• ionut
      July 25, 2016 at 10:58 am

u have a beer from me , thank you !!!

• August 5, 2016 at 12:47 am

OGM!!! I’ve been pully my hair out, trying to get this to work! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

• luca fasolo
      August 8, 2016 at 1:55 am

Thanks for the hint! It worked for me.

51. May 9, 2016 at 9:27 am

Thank you so much, I had the worst time dealing with this….thank you!!!!!!!

• Ricky
      June 15, 2016 at 8:08 am

How do i download the boot.wim and install.wim files??

52. he4dhunt3r
    May 3, 2016 at 11:48 pm

Awesome, thanks!!

53. Jamie Woodward
    April 29, 2016 at 2:46 pm

Not sure if anyone else has posted this yet, but Intel has actually made its own dedicated piece of software for this (its meant for the Intel NUC but works just the same). Downloadable at: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility

July 3, 2016 at 12:22 pm

54. Anonymous
    April 26, 2016 at 9:26 am

You sir, are fcking awesome, thanks a lot

55. Chad
    April 25, 2016 at 10:38 am

I have used this process to get Windows 7 installed on Dell 7510 laptop, however since it only has USB 3.0 ports on it, once Windows 7 is installed I cannot use my thumb drive to update any of the drivers.

Please help…

• Chad
      April 26, 2016 at 7:37 am

Please disregard. I had not only updated the boot.wim, not the install.wim.

Great write up! Thank you very much!

56. Milos
    April 19, 2016 at 4:07 am

Hey, there . This just solved my problem with installing WIN7 on Z170 intel board. Nothing worked even USB 2.0 port werent recognized by win installer. Elaboration in BIOS did nothing as well. Only integrating USB 3 drivers worked liked charmed. Thank you very much.

57. Anonymous
    April 17, 2016 at 7:16 am

Worked like a charm for win7 to skylake 6500/msi z170 gaming pro to bring the mouse/keyboard to life. Thank You!

58. Mike
    April 17, 2016 at 12:57 am

Travis,

Thank you for your very clear and helpful blog – the screenshots were particularly helpful.

Despite making some initial typing errors I have now succeeded in installing W7 on my Dell XPS13 9350.

59. catalin
    April 9, 2016 at 3:39 am

much appreciated !

60. R
    April 5, 2016 at 10:16 pm

Getting the following errors, could I get some help please??

I tried the cleanup command posted on here with no luck… Please help, I have no idea what to do.

• April 5, 2016 at 10:49 pm

What does your dism log file say? Also, how much free space do you have on your OS drive?

• R
        April 6, 2016 at 5:08 am

2016-04-06 00:07:36, Info DISM DISM.EXE: Executing command line: dism /image:mount /add-driver:”usb3″ /recurse
        2016-04-06 00:07:36, Info DISM DISM Provider Store: PID=1920 Getting the collection of providers from a local provider store type. – CDISMProviderStore::GetProviderCollection
        2016-04-06 00:07:36, Info DISM DISM Provider Store: PID=1920 Provider has not previously been encountered. Attempting to initialize the provider. – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider
        2016-04-06 00:07:36, Info DISM DISM Provider Store: PID=1920 Loading Provider from location C:\Windows\System32\Dism\WimProvider.dll – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider
        2016-04-06 00:07:36, Info DISM DISM Provider Store: PID=1920 Connecting to the provider located at C:\Windows\System32\Dism\WimProvider.dll. – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_LoadProvider
        2016-04-06 00:07:36, Info DISM DISM Provider Store: PID=1920 Loading Provider from location C:\Windows\System32\Dism\FolderProvider.dll – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider
        2016-04-06 00:07:36, Info DISM DISM Provider Store: PID=1920 Connecting to the provider located at C:\Windows\System32\Dism\FolderProvider.dll. – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_LoadProvider
        2016-04-06 00:07:36, Info DISM DISM Provider Store: PID=1920 Loading Provider from location C:\Windows\System32\Dism\CompatProvider.dll – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider
        2016-04-06 00:07:36, Info DISM DISM Provider Store: PID=1920 Connecting to the provider located at C:\Windows\System32\Dism\CompatProvider.dll. – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_LoadProvider
        2016-04-06 00:07:36, Info DISM DISM.EXE: Got the collection of providers. Now enumerating them to build the command table.
        2016-04-06 00:07:36, Info DISM DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: WimManager
        2016-04-06 00:07:36, Info DISM DISM.EXE: Succesfully registered commands for the provider: WimManager.
        2016-04-06 00:07:36, Info DISM DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: FolderManager
        2016-04-06 00:07:36, Info DISM DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: DISM Log Provider
        2016-04-06 00:07:36, Info DISM DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: Compatibility Manager
        2016-04-06 00:07:36, Info DISM DISM.EXE: Succesfully registered commands for the provider: Compatibility Manager.
        2016-04-06 00:07:37, Info DISM DISM Provider Store: PID=1920 Getting the collection of providers from a local provider store type. – CDISMProviderStore::GetProviderCollection
        2016-04-06 00:08:38, Error DISM DismHostLib: Failed to create DismHostManager remote object. Checking for dismhost.exe exit code.
        2016-04-06 00:08:38, Info DISM DismHostLib: Found dismhost.exe exit code.
        2016-04-06 00:08:38, Error DISM DISM Manager: PID=1920 Failed to create Dism Image Session in host. – CDISMManager::LoadImageSession(hr:0xc0000135)
        2016-04-06 00:08:38, Warning DISM DISM Manager: PID=1920 A problem ocurred loading the image session. Retrying… – CDISMManager::CreateImageSession(hr:0xc0000135)
        2016-04-06 00:09:38, Error DISM DismHostLib: Failed to create DismHostManager remote object. Checking for dismhost.exe exit code.
        2016-04-06 00:09:38, Info DISM DismHostLib: Found dismhost.exe exit code.
        2016-04-06 00:09:38, Error DISM DISM Manager: PID=1920 Failed to create Dism Image Session in host. – CDISMManager::LoadImageSession(hr:0xc0000135)
        2016-04-06 00:09:38, Error DISM DISM Manager: PID=1920 Failed to load the image session from the temporary location: C:\Users\LENOVO~1\AppData\Local\Temp\0A5C2A5C-7AD7-405F-925F-38CE325EA5BF – CDISMManager::CreateImageSession(hr:0xc0000135)
        2016-04-06 00:09:38, Error DISM DISM.EXE: Could not load the image session. HRESULT=C0000135
        2016-04-06 00:09:38, Error DISM DISM.EXE: Unable to start the servicing process for the image at ‘c:\Users\Lenovo T410\Desktop\USB3 Fix\mount’. HRESULT=C0000135
        2016-04-06 00:09:38, Info DISM DISM.EXE: Image session has been closed. Reboot required=no.
        2016-04-06 00:09:38, Info DISM DISM.EXE:
        2016-04-06 00:09:38, Info DISM DISM.EXE:

I don’t fully understand the second question but this PC that im using to try and setup the iso only has 37GB free. I appreciate any help, I am not knowledgeable in this at all. Thank you so much!

• April 6, 2016 at 7:00 am

Looks like it’s failing to create the session. Try creating a folder like c:\scratch and then add the flag ‘/ScratchDir:c:\scratch’ to the dism commands

• April 6, 2016 at 4:41 pm

I always build my iso and run anything that requires command prompt in the ROOT. This eliminates the need to miss a directory call and also helps keep the command short. Another hint that may be helpful…. use notepad to hack out all the commands, and copy & paste from notepad to the command line. This way you can debug your custom commands with greater ease and have less chance of error.
            Hope this helps.
            KD

61. April 1, 2016 at 1:09 am

Could you fix the two missing screenshots, and explain why you chose index such-and-such while adding the USB3 drivers?
    My boot.wim contains Microsoft Windows PE (x64) at index 1, and Microsoft Windows Setup x64 at index 2.
    My install.wim contains only Windows 7 Professional at index 1, so that one’s ok.

• April 6, 2016 at 5:07 pm

Hi Trond,

Sorry about those screenshots. They should be fixed now, for some reason I needed to relink to the original images as wordpress moved something around during the last update.

As far as the reasoning behind the indexes, if you need to run the Windows Recovery Environment then you will need to add the drivers to the Windows PE image (index 1 in the boot.wim) as well. I’m pretty sure all Windows 7 installation media has the same boot.wim, so index:2 should work for everyone. However the install.wim is different based on what version you have: All in One, Enterprise, Ultimate, Professional, Home Premium, Home, etc. So you will need to add it to the index that you are going to be installing so that after the initial boot.wim finishes copying over the files and you are presented with the initial “Welcome to your computer / first boot setup” screen you will still be able to use your usb devices. You can skip the install.wim if the machine will have internet access as it can download the USB3 drivers from Windows Updates. However in my experience it seems like a lot of onboard NICs will not work until the drivers are installed from the manufacturer, and so the machine will not have internet access on first boot even if it is plugged in. Kind of a catch-22 unless you install the NIC drivers OR USB3 drivers before hand.

62. anonymous
    March 25, 2016 at 8:32 pm

Thank you so much for posting this! I’m using a Sager NP8658-S and it only has USB 3.0 ports. I used this method and finally got the Windows installer to continue.

63. Anonymous
    March 23, 2016 at 10:02 am

Trying to install Win7 Pro on a IntelNUC and this fixes my drivers up until it enters the Set Up Windows and asks you to enter a username. At this point the drivers stop working again… The version of Windows maybe?

Any idea?

• March 23, 2016 at 4:10 pm

Sounds like the install.wim isn’t recognizing the usb ports / devices. Did you add the drivers to the appropriate windows version in the install.wim file? Also, if the network adapter doesn’t need special drivers, if it has internet access it might be able to grab drivers via windows updates once it gets to that screen.

• March 24, 2016 at 6:21 am

Sounds like the drivers were not incorporated in the package.
        Take a look at my post above and follow the methods I used to inject the drivers into your installation media.

Worked great for me.

64. March 21, 2016 at 9:04 am

Hi,

I am getting the below error while updating install.wim, I have unmounted and tried many times, still now luck

C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /mount-wim /wimfile:”E:\OS Files\install.wim” /mountdir:mount /index=3

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.10586.0

Error: 13

The data is invalid.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

March 23, 2016 at 10:00 am

Any idea?

65. Andrew
    March 15, 2016 at 12:59 pm

Excellent tutorial. Looks complicated at first but it’s simple. Thanks!!!

66. Craig
    March 13, 2016 at 3:54 am

Excellent guide. Thank you very much!! Saved me with a Win 7 install onto m.2 drives with USB3 only!

67. Anonymous
    March 8, 2016 at 12:17 pm

Thank you very much. This finally worked for me. Used on mini-ITX motherboard Gigabyte GA-N3050N-D2P which has only USB 3.0 ports.

March 11, 2016 at 4:10 pm

Which drivers did you use?

68. Bob Rekab
    March 5, 2016 at 4:20 am

went like a charm end to end faster than slipstreaming drivers with other utilitys. A whole lot better than downloading that immense WAIK kit from Microsoft and simpler too. If you have an HP then d/load 7zip and run it on the service pack to extract the drivers and do it that way although the above drivers work fine for mine. nicely laid out and well put article but follow the commands to every last dot and dash or it wont work. Nice one 🙂

• Bob Rekab
      March 5, 2016 at 4:29 am

I should amend that to softpaq by HP with newer computers your going to hit the driver issue and even the drivers for win 7 take some hunting on the web page best of luck now on to fix the UEFI issue with win 7

• Bob Rekab
        March 15, 2016 at 8:55 am

check out these links there is indeed a utility that will do all that above in a GUI. http://www.vladan.fr/dism-gui-4-0-utility/https://dismgui.codeplex.com this really works well and does a whole lot more. I am still discovering just what I can do with it. It speeds up the drivers thing no end and better than typing long strings. OBTW should you have and ESD file look around for a decoder to extract the wim files and either run the above commands and inst. or use this util. Both work equally well. The ESD decoder is in a few places and even M/soft recommend it. Strange them recommending basically a Linux utility but it works well as all the latest OS isos from M/soft come with ESD files just however with DISM and the decoder depending on your machine it does take time good fixs they maybe but time consuming they are once again awesome web site you put me on the right track and OBTW I fixed the UEFI Win 7 boot issue with a little known utility called win2boot (Linux again) once again thx a bundle 🙂 Bob

69. Anonymous
    March 2, 2016 at 10:14 am

Thank you, you are my hero!

70. Anonymous
    March 1, 2016 at 7:19 pm

I don’t usually say thank you to these kind of posts…but…THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!! REALLY APPRECIATE THIS :D!

71. Jason
    February 25, 2016 at 1:22 pm

What is missing from this article is dism /cleamup-wim which will help with 0xc1420127 The specified image in the specified wim is already mounted for read/write access

• Jason
      February 25, 2016 at 1:24 pm

Oops.. that’s dism /cleanup-wim

• February 25, 2016 at 1:59 pm

Nice, I’ll add that to the article. Just a nice step to do when using dism to mount / unmount wims.

72. Traxx
    February 17, 2016 at 12:22 am

Hi can I really need some help on this same problem:

I was able to successfully complete boot.wim & Get-WimInfo stage. BUT when i start the install.wim:

Error: 0xc1420127 “The specified image in the specified wim is already mounted for read/write access”

And when I skip to the next step Add-Driver:

Error: 2 “Unable to access the image. Make sure that the image path and the Windows directory for the image exist and you have Read permissions on the folder.”

Note:
    -I have open Admin:Command Prompt

Pls desperately need some assistance.

73. February 9, 2016 at 5:24 pm

Very useful guide, thank you

74. Boris
    January 25, 2016 at 12:49 pm

Hello everyone,

first of all thanks a lot to Travis for this guide. Second, reading all those comments I found myself in need to write this – I managed to install Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 x64 EN with no problems following this instructions (someone said it is not possible for Enterprise).

I was installing Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 x64 EN on NUCi3SYH. Created bootable stick from iso using Iso2Disc tool. After that, copied boot.wim and install.wim. I copied only files from my Drivers\Win7\x64 folder, not whole Drivers like in gude, rest done as instructed and installed os with no problem.

P.S. At first I did copy whole Drivers folder, and managed to get my keyboard and mouse working on first setup screen (language settings) and started installation but it crashed after copying files, but also I used another tool – Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool, not Iso2Disc, so I can’t say for sure was the problem because whole Drivers folder or because boot cration tool – I would say it was because of tool.

Br, Boris

February 3, 2016 at 12:54 am

I use Win 8.0, so simple and solved is the problem…

• statik
        February 9, 2016 at 9:15 pm

we’re not talking about windows 8 ya douche

• Cameron
        May 5, 2016 at 7:39 am

I believe win 8 is even a bigger headache than this….

May you suffer the joys that Win 8 brings 🙂

75. For the VIA driver go here now.
    December 24, 2015 at 11:29 pm
  76. ricklau
    December 18, 2015 at 9:42 pm

My laptop is Lenovo Flex-2, it has two USB2.0 and one USB3.0, however, with and without your method, it always has the “A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing”, the reason I downgrade windows 8 to windows 7 is my laptop suddenly had blue screen of “critical_process_died”

• undefined
      January 21, 2016 at 12:25 pm

I had same problem. It’s because you did not use correct drivers ( they should be provided by your motherboard vendor) do not use the intel driver linked in the article if it’s not working for you, you have to use correct driver version.

77. December 14, 2015 at 6:42 am

Awww yisss! Thank you for this!! I knew it could be done, but you just made it easy!!

Also, some may need to use ‘1’ as their index #. I had too.

78. Juanito
    December 11, 2015 at 1:51 am

Indeed, it doesn’t work with Windows 7 for nuc5ppyh device. It’s is enough to use the tool intel provided and worked like a charm.

79. Rodrigo
    December 10, 2015 at 7:53 pm

Guys I’m having problem with the second stage… with BOOT.wim it`s everything ok, as like the post…

But When I try to “read” the install.wim to find the index 1/2/3/4/5 I got Error:13 Invalid data

What I need to do ?

80. mike
    December 8, 2015 at 8:33 am

Thanks, Travis. This worked great with Intel USB3 drivers.

81. Milo
    December 4, 2015 at 12:44 pm

good job

82. chipster4
    December 3, 2015 at 10:16 am

Hi! Im French then sorry for my bad english:

I follow all the instruction until the updating of “install.wim”. Then, the instalation of the 6 drivers always fails! And i don’t know why! i just have, at the end, the error 15105.

Then i can’t go further. Please help me! :'(

• December 9, 2015 at 4:34 am

I had same problem but I disabled McAfee Access Protection and on Access Scanner and that worked for me.

March 5, 2016 at 10:44 am

Had the same Problem and fixed it in about 8 hours..
      When you move the Drivers-Folder to your USB3-Folder which you have created, go to HCSwitch/x64 and right-click on every File, go to Properties. Down in the properties-window it says that the File is not safe. Press “Unblock” or something like that so that your Computer knows it’s a safe file. Do this with all the files in HCSwitch/x64, HCSwitch/x86, Win7/x64 and Win7/x86.
      Then try it again and it should work

Cheers

• RR
        March 14, 2016 at 9:41 pm

Thanks! That just saved my moring!!!!!!!

• YouSavedMyDay
        March 16, 2016 at 7:37 am

Wow – that solved my problem too. I started yesterday afternoon with the Intel Win7 USB3 Creator Utility and was unsuccessful. Then started this morning with dism and got an error when adding each usb3 driver. Been looking everywhere for information. Followed your advice in properties window for each driver file and now it works! Thanks!!!!

• Cameron
        May 5, 2016 at 8:59 am

Brilliant, you saved my insanity.

My ‘Brix’ almost became a ‘brick’ hurtling back towards the shop window where I bought it.

Never had this problem with Ubuntu

Many thanks to all

June 11, 2016 at 8:02 am

I was stuck with access denied with the /add-driver in install.wim all day I could finally get it sorted thanks to your hint!!!

83. Rick
    November 19, 2015 at 11:51 am

Intel made it more easy for us, it will do the above steps with one click of a button.

• Hassan
      November 21, 2015 at 5:20 pm

it is taking a lot of time … an hour has been but isn’t finished yet !!!

• Rick
        November 22, 2015 at 2:28 am

I only used it once and it was ready within 10 minutes on my computer. You can try the manual may if the Intel tool doesn’t work. Or Intel has a FAQ which can help.

84. November 17, 2015 at 10:58 am

When trying to update the boot.wim file I get “access denied” in CMD when running as admin. I have UAC turned OFF and I have ownership and full control of CMD.exe. I unblocked all drivers, restarted PC, banged head against wall… what can I do?

• sutekidayo
      November 17, 2015 at 11:32 am

Do you have permissions to modify the boot.wim file? You can right click and go to properties and then check the security tab to see who has edit privileges.

• January 20, 2016 at 5:00 pm

Did you move both images out of the installer directory first? Won’t work if you don’t. Inject the drivers then copy back to the install. Worked for me wonderfully!

85. Anonymous
    November 16, 2015 at 7:46 am

Excellent! Saved me on a laptop with no usb2 and no dvd drive. Thanks

86. W
    November 12, 2015 at 3:41 pm

Spent pretty much the whole day trying to find a solution to this problem, first time I’m building my own PC so was definitely getting very frustrated…
    Until i found this guide! Which worked perfectly once I caught on that I had to use the latest drivers for my Asrock Z170-m which I got from their website.
    Thanks a bunch!
    Free upgrade and fallout 4 here I come!

87. Thank you!
    November 5, 2015 at 12:55 am

Brilliant! Thank you so much for this fix!

88. Anonymous
    October 30, 2015 at 2:53 am

Firstly thank you all for the hard work you have put into this solution. Sadly for me it doesn’t work. I have a hp pavilion mini 300-030na. I have downloaded the latest drivers from intel, and injected them into the boot and install file. I have also tried just generic usb 3 drivers. As soon as that first windows 7 screen comes up, no keyboard and no mouse. If anyone has got any ideas I’m all ears.

• October 31, 2015 at 6:56 am

surprisingly, his method worked for me on my custom build. in your case i would check to see if HP has drivers specific to your model. computer manufacturers may provide their own drivers based off of intel….im not a genius like this guy, i just know that intel drivers are not always the best default.

89. LD
    October 26, 2015 at 7:21 pm

HEllo Good Sir, was trying to follow your instruction but got stuck in finding the driver for AMD CPU.. when I go to their website they have this pakage to download for many driver but could not find the .wim

• Jens
      October 29, 2015 at 2:45 am

The .wim is inside of your windows ISO

90. Anonymous
    October 7, 2015 at 12:28 am

Hi Travis,
    I am having the same problem as others where the keyboard stop responding at the sreen to enter Computer Name (after Windows 7 restart to complete the installation). Any advice will be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Alex

October 7, 2015 at 7:03 pm

Keyboard and mouse NOT responding at the enter Computer Name screen.
      I have work out what my problem is (I guess). My Boot.Wim is x86 but I am trying to install the 64 bit Windows. I believe that once the Window restart to complete the installation, it’s in 64 bit mode and the USB3 driver in the Boot.wim is 32 bit. Because it will work for me if I install the 32 bit Windows using the same Boot.wim and Install.wim.

Alex

91. October 3, 2015 at 11:46 am

I followed all the steps for Boot.wim and no errors occurred.
    When I got to the install.wim the Drivers would not patch successfully.

So me being me I tried out the Bootable USB with the new Boot.wim file and I could install windows On a Skylake System. Mouse and Key worked!

Only thing is, when it came time to enter in the name of the pc and all the rest after the initial setup(install.wim), the keyboard and mouse didn’t work
    Could it be that I need a Untouched Copy of windows 7 ISO ? I tried patching the files with some version my friend got. don’t know if it was just the trial or a torrent.

Other people have successfully accomplished what i am trying to do, patching the files that is.

Any advice?

Pic of unsuccessful patch https://gyazo.com/8625d16eefa65b1b19b0f0d997c282d1

• October 5, 2015 at 8:49 am

Hi Ecto,

Is there any more information in your logs?

• Brian
        November 2, 2015 at 5:04 pm

i have had the same problem as Ecto. 5 error when attempting to add the drivers to the install file.

here is what is in my dism log:

2015-11-02 19:45:36, Info DISM DISM.EXE:

2015-11-02 19:45:36, Info DISM DISM Image Session: PID=7260 Disconnecting the provider store – CDISMImageSession::Final_OnDisconnect

2015-11-02 19:45:36, Info DISM DISM Provider Store: PID=7260 Disconnecting Provider: WimManager – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider

2015-11-02 19:45:36, Info DISM DISM Provider Store: PID=7260 Disconnecting Provider: FolderManager – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider

2015-11-02 19:45:36, Info DISM DISM Provider Store: PID=7260 Found the OSServices.
        Waiting to finalize it until all other providers are unloaded. – CDISMProviderStore::Final_OnDisconnect

2015-11-02 19:45:36, Info DISM DISM Provider Store: PID=7260 Disconnecting Provider: Compatibility Manager – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider

2015-11-02 19:45:36, Info DISM DISM Provider Store: PID=7260 Releasing the local reference to DISMLogger. Stop logging. – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_DisconnectProvider

• November 4, 2015 at 10:52 am

I am also getting errors when attempting to patch the install files, as many other people also seem to be getting. Not sure which error refers to the actual failure, but I DO get the errors Brian wrote above. I also get errors like: “CBS Failed to unload offline registry:…”

• Brian
            November 7, 2015 at 9:27 am

OK!! hey guys. i have found a solution to part of the problem. i had to go to each file in the drivers folder, which if you are following this guide is in C:\users\brian\desktop\usb3 fix\usb 3\drivers. use the path that corresponds to your specific situation. once there, you have to modify each file in each folder like so:

right click>properties>unblock>apply/ok

the unblock button should be towards the bottom of the properties frame.

this allowed me to complete the add driver step for the install.wim file without errors.

another thing to consider is to try modifying both index 1 and index 2 of the boot.wim file.

after doing all this, i was able to proceed with windows installation. i got excited, but then when the installer reached 95% on the expanding files step, it would come up with another error. an 0x80070570 i think it was. i pulled my hair out for bit, then succeeded after simply reformatting the USB drive, re installing the iso on it, and modify the drivers again, and also DISABLING quick boot in the bios. im not sure which step helped the most, but i now have it installed and running.

• November 10, 2015 at 4:29 am

Wish I had seen Brian’s comment earlier. I also had access errors during the install.wim part, and going to each files’ properties and unblocking worked for me as well.

Thanks so much for this post, Travis. You saved me a lot of time and grief so that I could get my PC built in time for Fallout 4. 😀

November 4, 2015 at 11:03 pm

Travis,

Love that you posted this, have been trying for the past several days to install win7 on my skylake laptop with only 3.0 ports and no option in bios to change them. I, like ecto, am having issues injecting the usb 3.0 drivers to the install.wim file. The dism log says I have 0x80070005 error, which online searches point to denial of access, which is strange because I ran cmd in administrator mode.

92. Lyri
    October 2, 2015 at 6:25 am

You Are awsome!!! Now my xmg u506 has got Windows, YOU are the Messias! Thank YOU so much

93. Anonymous
    October 1, 2015 at 1:24 pm

That sir, was a really fine tutorial ! Great thanks (y) !

94. September 30, 2015 at 1:02 pm

I had problems installing Windows 7 on my Asus UX303 caused by the USB drivers, the solution was to disable XHCI mode in BIOS.
    I managed to solve my problem by trial and error but it’s a great guide nonetheless!

95. Robert J. Einstein
    September 19, 2015 at 6:35 am

Thank you very much for trying to help.

In my Win7 USB key in sources I only have an install.esd not an install.wim.

What should I do ?

Trying to install Win7 on a brand new Asus Z170 Deluxe board.

• September 19, 2015 at 6:37 am

The first time I did it I didn’t need to do anything to install.wim, I would try just updating boot.wim

96. Davide Casella
    September 6, 2015 at 4:54 am

Normally I never leave any comments, but in this case, I have to.

I have tried to do a clean install of my windows, and since I only have a functional USB 3.0 port, I have spend a lot of time to find a solution.
    Kept getting the “CD/DVD drivers … could not be found” in the installation window.

BUT!!
    This guide worked everything out..
    It is installing at my computer as we speak.

Thanks a lot mate!

97. Anonymous
    August 25, 2015 at 2:01 pm

Thank you very much for this fix! With is I was able to install Windows 7 on my Intel Skylake PC

September 10, 2015 at 8:21 am

Why wouldn’t you be using Windows 10 on a skylake PC?

October 8, 2015 at 5:03 am

free upgrade to 10 from 7 dude

November 4, 2015 at 8:05 pm

because theres nothing wrong with windows 7

98. Anonymous
    August 24, 2015 at 7:41 pm

Hi Travis, facing the same issue as others. USB 3.0 install goes through fine in the beginning. But it asks to enter PC Name before it completes the install. Again no keyboard/mouse at that time. Any ideas how to get it to load the drives at that time ?

99. August 23, 2015 at 9:40 am

Appreciate all the comments and work on this tutorial. I thought for sure it would fix my same problem with my Zotac ci320. Unfortunately, I still can’t get past the first installation screen on Win 7 (lanuage screen; no mouse, no keyboard).

I did try to use Travis process to load the USB3 drivers that came with my Zotac box, and the process seemed to go very smoothly (thanks to the well outlined steps above), but I still am stuck. I lose the USB power (keyboard and mouse shut down) during the ‘windows loading’ screen. I can actually see the power light go off as Windows is trying to load.

I can’t figure out in my BIOS if there’s some way to turn off the USB3 and force it to work as USB2 – I keep trying different combinations of enable/disabling the “legacy’, “XHC1” and “EHC1′ settings in the BIOS, but no joy yet. My next step is to try and contact ZOTAC directly for support.

• August 24, 2015 at 9:18 pm

actually solved my issue. for me, my windows 7 install disk has both x86 and x64 versions of windows. When I applied the fix below to the boot.wim file, what I really needed to do was apply it to the boot_x64.wim file (both are in the ‘source’ folder). And as someone else mentioned below, you ALSO need to load the drivers into the ‘Install.wim’ file using this exact same process outlined below – just changing the file name from ‘boot.wim’ to ‘install.wim’ (and ‘boot_x64.wim if you’re installing the x64 version).

after all that, I did get USB 3 working and installed Win 7 successfully.

100. Steve Swaringen
    August 22, 2015 at 8:07 pm

I would never have found a solution for my problem without this post. Thanks for taking the time to work this out and post the solution.

I did run into the same problem that several others here had where once the installation finishes and the freshly installed Windows system boots it has no USB3 drivers. After a little poking around I found the source of the problem and a solution.

The problem is that adding the USB3 drivers to the boot.wim file only enables the installer executable to have access to the new drivers. It does not provide those drivers in a way that they can actually be installed to the new system.

To do that, you also need to add the USB3 drivers to the install.wim file (in the same folder on the memory stick). It gets a little more complicated here because (at least in my case) there are several different images in the install.wim file. You can see a list of them using the command

dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:install.wim

In my case there were four. I don’t know enough to work out which one would actually be used during installation, so I separately modified each of the four images. (Use the same three dism commands identified in the original post, but substitute “install.wim” for “boot.wim”, and where the first command says “/index:2” change the number to the index of the image you want to modify. As I said, I did all four. If you know which one will be used you may only need to do one.

My target system was a Macbook Pro Retina (late 2013). It doesn’t have an Ethernet port, so I couldn’t just wait for Windows Update to fix the problem. And the hard drive is soldered to the motherboard, so patching it from a secondary system wasn’t an option. And you can’t disable USB3 compatibility in the BIOS on newer Macs.

If you got here because you’re also trying to install on a Mac (without Boot Camp), be aware that the standard Win 7 ISO also doesn’t have a suitable wifi driver. I happened to have a different memory stick that Boot Camp had built and it had installed the necessary wifi driver. After Installing Win 7 using the ISO as modified for the USB3 drivers, I plugged in that second memory stick, navigated to the bootcamp drivers directory, and found the appropriate driver (I think in a Broadcom directory).

There were a number of other drivers also not in the Win 7 ISO, but with USB and WIFI working I was able to sit back and watch Windows Update fix everything else.

101. Pramod
    August 19, 2015 at 3:41 pm

This method does not work with NUC5CPYH windows 7 installation. You need to do 9 step dism command with both .wim and .install files from flash drive OS and follow the directions from the web site below;

Still, no way to install windows 7 enterprise from above directions.

102. AV
    August 14, 2015 at 3:43 pm

thanks travis, this really save my day!

103. August 7, 2015 at 6:52 pm

thanks for your information… 🙂

104. alan
    July 30, 2015 at 11:00 am

Thank you!
    It worked perfectly!!!
    😀

105. Joe Licata
    July 30, 2015 at 5:39 am

Thanks for a very helpful posting! Just one important note. You must add the drivers to the install.wim in addition to the boot.wim otherwise Windows will not install the additional drivers and you will no longer have the drivers loaded after the first time boot.

106. Technocrat
    July 27, 2015 at 9:23 am

One more thing, The index option used mount-wim is given as 2 here which did not work in my case. I had to use index:1.

107. Technocrat
    July 27, 2015 at 9:19 am

The USB 3.0 Drivers made the installation possible from USB 3 port but the speed of installation is equal to that of USB 2 only.

108. Anonymous
    July 22, 2015 at 6:20 pm

when i do the final step, i receive an error: 0xc1420117 which states that the directory could not be completely unmounted which is due to application that still have files opened within the mount directory. how do i fix this? i tried it on another computer but i still receive the same error

109. Anonymous
    July 18, 2015 at 3:01 am

dear sir i have purchase hp slimline celeron desktop but i cant install windows 7 last time end point that system say pc name keyboard & mouse not working

110. lilia
    July 16, 2015 at 2:26 am

I use in a DC53427 without sdd and i want to install win7 on HDD with usb3 connection, as i already made on other PC . How i must change the BIOS to be abble to Install WIN7 ? I tried but HDD is recognisez as USB device and the install stop.

111. Michael
    July 9, 2015 at 1:28 pm

Travis, I have a USB Win 7 image that I am trying to deploy on a new Panasonic Toughbook slim CF-54 with nothing but USB 3.0 ports, no DVD, and no way to disable them in BIOS. I first installed the OOB image from the factory and found that it uses Intel and Renesas USB drivers. I followed the instructions and it stated that the drivers were loaded and that the WIM has been un mounted correctly. but upon booting it just goes to the language screen. Any Ideas ?

112. Nick
    July 2, 2015 at 12:09 am

I’ve been trying for 8 hours now, no hope. Basically I followed your steps hoping that will change something:) I am booting from a usb pen onto a dell xps 15z, I pass the language screen and then it gets stuck on “select the driver to be installed” showing this error:” no device driver were found. Make sure the the installation media contains the correct drivers, then click ok” . At this point , the only solution I figured out, I inserted a bootable dvd( that won’t boot on its own) and there it does find the windows versions I want to install, I click on it, finds my Hdd, does the partition ( without allocation the system files though?!) and the next error that pops up is this: ” setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition” please help!

113. Anonymous
    June 26, 2015 at 10:18 am

Thx a lot, works:)

114. frankwang945
    June 22, 2015 at 6:36 pm

dism /mount-wim /wimfile:install.wim /index:4 /mountdir:mount
    dism /image:mount /add-driver /driver:”drivers” /recurse
    dism /unmount-wim /mountdir:mount /commit

• Ben
      August 13, 2015 at 8:52 pm

For some reason the middle line fails to run. It says it can’t find the “drivers”. I have tred every combination of names and folders but it won’t run. When i run his : dism /image:mount /add-driver:”usb3″ /recurse it finds it, but then brings an error for all 6 drivers I tries to install. If i skip ahead to the last line, it mounts just fine and everything runs, but there aren’t any new drivers…

115. frankwang945
    June 22, 2015 at 6:32 pm

you should do the same thing on the install.wim file. then USB 3.0 port work after win7 installed.

116. Anonymous
    May 2, 2015 at 11:51 am

Solved problem in first part of installation (chose language etc… –> THANKS :)) but it stuck on finishing installation where you enter computers name (cannot enter because again no keyboard or mouse). Any idea?

• May 4, 2015 at 8:36 am

It sounds like the driver wasn’t installed with Windows for some reason. Does anything happen if you unplug / re-plug your keyboard and mouse? If you can get access to the hard drive with a boot cd or mount it to a different computer or something, you can try extracting the USB 3.0 drivers to your Driver Store folder (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff553973%28v=vs.85%29.aspx) You might have to prestage it on another windows 7 machine first and copy it over (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772036.aspx)

If you have an ethernet port, the easiest solution might be to just connect the machine to the internet and let windows update do it’s thing when you connect the usb devices. It might work at that stage of the install.

That’s what I can think of off the top of my head, I can probably provide more information if you can provide what Motherboard / Keyboard / Mouse you are using. 🙂

• Ben
        August 13, 2015 at 7:40 pm

I am having the same issue, Intel NUC NUC5CPYH, windows 7 home premium, usb 2.0 mouse+keyboard. I downloaded the usb 3.0 driver (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=Intel%C2%AE+NUC+Kit+NUC5CPYH) and everything worked fine until the “enter a computer name” page. I can power down, and reboot it, but it takes me back to the same page, and I can’t do anything there.

• Mike
          November 2, 2015 at 9:47 am

Having the same issue. Is there any resolution for this issue yet?

117. April 13, 2015 at 5:56 am

I LOVE YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!! Thankssssssssss Bro! 😀

118. florin
    January 30, 2015 at 11:08 pm

i have a problem and i hope that you can help me. i have about two weeks of internet search with no solution. i have a notebook lifeboook_ah532/g21, but the name is irrelevant in this matter. internal hard disk has 6 bad sectors but it also reports 199 delays which renders it almost unusable. dont have money to buy a new one right away, maybe in march, but not now. i also have an external verbatim encased samsung 1tb hdd, which works fine. i managed to install windows 7 x64 ultimate on it with the help of wintousb and now i can boot into windows from it. so far so good. my notebook has 1 usb 2.0 and 3 usb 3.0. the problem comes from the fact that i can only boot from the 2.0 usb!!! when i try to boot from one of 3.0 usb, after windows logo i get blue screen.
    now comes the big question: is there a workaround (similar to this one for installer) for my installed windows to boot from 3.0 usb, or i will remain on usb 2.0 until i will buy a new internal hdd?! 🙁

• February 3, 2015 at 7:51 am

Do the USB 3.0 ports work when you are booted off the USB 2.0 port? Also, what’s the stop code windows throws when it BSODs on you?

119. TerranRex
    January 1, 2015 at 3:19 pm

I can’t seem to find a download of drivers for my motherboard(Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H-WB) which has a drivers folder, they are all .exe files, and if I can get into them, there is no folder titled ‘Drivers’.

• January 8, 2015 at 1:07 am

Looks like that motherboard uses the VIA or Intel USB 3.0. You should be able to use the drivers directly from VIA and Intel (links above).

120. December 23, 2014 at 8:30 am

oh my god
    you save my life
    thankkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk you

121. September 7, 2014 at 11:33 pm

HI there,

Yes I got it working in the end by turning off USB3 in the bios surprisingly slaps head

Thanks for your guide though it did help a lot!

🙂

Shaun

• September 9, 2014 at 9:25 am

Glad to hear it. I’ll add an update to the post in case others are hitting the same road block!

122. VG
    August 1, 2014 at 10:54 am

Hi there, I have the exact same issue. After doing the mod on the wim file, it did install and I was able to use my keyboard and mouse during the install. But as soon as I get to the Set Up Windows dialog to choose a user name and computer name, the keyboard / mouse once again does not work. Do you happen to have a workaround for that as well, by any chance?

• September 7, 2014 at 1:27 am

Sounds like you and Shaun are both having the same issue. Were you able to get it working? I didn’t have that issue when I ran through it and don’t really have the time or energy to re-image my brix to troubleshoot it, sorry! It sounds like windows was able to see and use the drivers for the installation process, but for some reason didn’t install them so that when it was booting from the hard drive afterwards it no longer had the drivers. You might be able to mount the disk on a different computer, and put the drivers in the right folder ? Another thing you might try is having the computer connected to the internet via an ethernet cable. Windows Updates is usually already running when it gets to the post install setup screen.

• VG
        September 8, 2014 at 4:20 am

I did not get it past the screen. So I ended up returning the Brix and getting a Haswell NUC – all works well there 🙂

123. August 1, 2014 at 12:00 am

This is correct, while I am thankful for this fix in completing the installation and it does work up to that point, as soon as you are required to set a username and computer name the peripherals go back to not working again and you’re unable to get past this stage.

So close!

• September 7, 2014 at 1:22 am

That’s a bummer Shaun! Were you ever able to get it working? Maybe try a different set of drivers? You can install all of them, they won’t conflict. I might upload a custom boot.wim file for everyone to use.

• James
        September 2, 2015 at 7:51 am

Providing a premade boot.wim with all the drivers would make you a hero to a lot of people.

• duelistjp
      September 5, 2015 at 10:29 am

you might try once you get to that point using a linux usb key to mount the drive and put the drivers in place. a tad bit easier if you don’t have another comp lying around

September 5, 2015 at 2:56 pm

to get it all done for my setup, I had to install the drivers into both the ‘boot.wim’ (or boot_x64.wim) and the “install.wim’. If you don’t also put the drivers in the install.wim, that’s where you get left hanging not being able to type in the user and computer name. You might try that. The install.wim is also in that same folder as the boot wims.

124. Rizwan
    May 19, 2014 at 9:46 pm

Hi there, I did what all is mentioned and everything went perfect. But as soon as the installation completes and I get take to the screen where I am required to set a username and computer name, the keyboard and mouse stop responding like before. Do you have a fix for this?

• June 24, 2014 at 8:37 am

Sorry for the late reply. Just got back from a long, needed vacation. Are you still having trouble with the installation?

• Avnir
      December 3, 2014 at 5:55 am

Hi Rizwan, tpayton,

I’ve discovered that we don’t actually need to modify the boot.wim file. If we first go to bios and disable USB 3 controller, it falls back to USB 2 functionality. It wasn’t very obvious!

Thereafter, Windows 7 installs perfectly fine without any mods.
      Hope this helps 🙂

• December 3, 2014 at 7:32 am

That’s great! Wish gigabyte made it more obvious. I guess the only perk to adding the drivers is the faster install.

September 18, 2015 at 6:44 am

I don’t see anywhere in the nuc5CPYH where you can turn the usb3 back to usb 2 in the bios.

February 25, 2016 at 6:30 pm

Hi Rizwan ,

I’m having this exact issue , were you able to resolve the issue ?

125. Pingback: burberry sacs