How to Install Windows 7 with only USB 3.0 Ports

Installing Windows 7 from USB drive using USB 3.0 ports

Background

If you have tried to install Windows 7 using a USB Flash Drive on a system that only has USB 3.0 ports, you might have found that you couldn’t get past the Language Select screen of the installer as your keyboard and mouse didn’t work.  I recently had this problem when trying to install Win 7 onto my Gigabyte Brix XM12-3227.

Gigabyte Brix

The keyboard and mouse worked great in the BIOS, but as soon as the Windows 7 installation media loaded and presented that familiar Language Select screen, I had no cursor or keyboard.  I tried a couple of other things, like grabbing an older PS/2 keyboard and connecting it via a PS/2 to USB adapter. Same problem.  It was at this point I decided to start Googling my problem, and low and behold I quickly discovered that Windows 7 does not have drivers for USB 3.0 built in.  In fact, it doesn’t even know what to do with those ports once the BIOS hands over control to the installer image.  If your BIOS has an option to turn off USB 3.0, that is probably the easiest option. However, my GIGABYTE BRIX had no such option that I could find.

Well, I didn’t give up, I knew there had to be a way to add the necessary drivers to the installer, and it turns out there is!  Adding support for USB 3.0 also works great if you want to install from a fast USB 3.0 flash drive! The entire install takes about 5 minutes with one of those.

Step by Step Walk-Through

1. Get the right USB 3.0 Drivers

For your installer to work with your computer, make sure you grab the proper USB 3.0 drivers.  My motherboard used Intel USB 3.0 drivers, and so I downloaded the latest version from Intel’s site. Look up your Motherboard’s drivers and see which ones you need.  For convenience, I’ve added the latest drivers (as of the time of writing) for the most common USB 3.0 controllers.  If you are unsure which drivers you need or have multiple computers, you can grab all of them.

2. Extract the Drivers

Once you download the drivers, we will need to make a folder for the drivers we want to slipstream into our installation media.  For the purpose of this example lets just call it “USB3 Fix.”

Step 1 Create New Folder

Inside that folder create two separate folders: “USB3” and “mount”.

Screenshot of two folders

Now extract all the drivers into that USB3 folder.

Extract the drivers to the USB3 folder

3. Get the “boot.wim” and “install.wim” files

** Thanks for all the comments pointing out that you also need to update the install.wim file! **

Next, we need to get the files we need to install/add the drivers on. Open up your USB thumb drive that has your Windows 7 image on it and navigate to the Sources folder.  Move the “boot.wim” file and “install.wim” into your “USB3 Fix” folder we created earlier.

4. Update the “boot.wim” and “install.wim” Files

Open up your cmd shell as an administrator.  (Click Start on Windows 7, or Windows Key + Q on Windows 8, type in “cmd” and then right-click on the cmd application and choose Run as Administrator.)

Once open, navigate to the USB3_Fix folder in the cmd shell, and type in the following commands in this order to update the boot.wim file:

It should look something like thisscreenshot of the command prompt after running each command

Next, do the same thing to the “install.wim” file.  This file has a couple of different index values depending on what type of Windows you are installing.  You can list all the indexes and their contents by typing in:

It will give you the output of the different installers and their indexes:

install.wim Indexes

If you want to update all of them you will have to repeat the below process for the indexes you want to update.  For me, I’m just installing Windows 7 Professional, so I’m only going to update that one.

If you are encountering dism errors when trying to run the above commands make sure that the wim files unmounted successfully by running the following command:

After that command finishes, try mounting the wim that was giving you errors again and adding the drivers.

*Thanks to Jason for pointing out the dism /cleanup-wim command.  For more information about troubleshooting wim mounting see this excellent post.

5. Replace the “boot.wim” and “install.wim” files

Now you’re done! Simply place the modified “boot.wim” and “install.wim” file back into the “sources” directory on your Win 7 iso bootable USB thumb drive and everything should work as expected!

Hope this saves people the 30 minutes it took me to find a solution that worked!  Thanks go to Rakeesh, who originally posted this workaround at forums.mydigitallife.info.

Travis Payton

Travis Payton

Is a Computer Scientist and Japanese scholar who enjoys programming, video games, and living life.He currently works at the University of Alaska Fairbanks, and does freelance programming and translation work on the side.
Travis Payton

165 comments for “How to Install Windows 7 with only USB 3.0 Ports

1. June 27, 2016 at 10:28 pm

Unfortunately this doesn’t work for me 🙁 Everything completes successfully but once it gets to the install screen nothing works again.. Anyone know what’s happening?

2. Anonymous
    June 24, 2016 at 10:47 am

got an error winload.exe missing or corrupted after this..

3. Anonymous
    June 21, 2016 at 10:18 am

Exelente post me funciono a la primera y de maravilla, saludos y muchas gracias por el tip

4. Mike
    June 20, 2016 at 6:51 am

If you receive “The driver package contains x64 boot-critical drivers, but the drivers are not properly signed” when adding VIA drivers, add “/forceunsigned” (without quotes) after “/recurse”

5. Redso
    June 17, 2016 at 6:03 am

as i pressed on “post comment”, it came into my mind that it must been a temp folder for mounting the wim file. 🙂

• June 17, 2016 at 7:54 am

Yup, it’s what’s passed to the mountdir: parameter in the DISM commands 🙂

6. Redso
    June 17, 2016 at 6:02 am

thanks for this. 🙂
    Why do i have to create a mount folder in the usb3fix one? In your explanation is no sign of using it?

7. B
    June 15, 2016 at 5:33 am

am interested if anyone knows if there is an installer/index that I can use for Enterprise ED? is it the same as the PRO or the Ultimate?

• B
      June 15, 2016 at 8:45 am

Hello, I found it by using the DISM GUI utility Thanks

8. asd
    June 15, 2016 at 2:01 am

Damn, spent few hours trying to figure out the problem and finally found this guide which worked. Thank you!

9. george
    June 14, 2016 at 7:13 pm

This is completely wrong, you are adding 2 arch of the same driver, x86 and x64.

• June 14, 2016 at 8:08 pm

Sorry, guess I wasn’t clear. When I wrote proper drivers for your motherboard, I meant the proper drivers for the version of Windows 7 you are trying to install on that motherboard.

10. Anonymous
    June 8, 2016 at 7:55 pm

Thank you… was able to get Win7 on my Gigabyte Brix thanks to your tutorial. Cheers!

11. spc
    June 8, 2016 at 4:39 pm

I did this process exactly like described for both WIM files without any error.
    How is it possible that I still got missing driver problem after clicking install???

The driver has to be fine, after installing of OS from DVD it is working well.

btw. none of the utils from intel or asrock does work for me 🙁

12. June 7, 2016 at 12:27 pm

Thanks for linking to my guide on disabling USB 3.0 in the UEFI BIOS. I have made an updated guide which instructs in converting a DVD into a .iso, slipstreaming Windows 7 SP2 (or “convenience rollup”) and adding USB 3.0 support using the Intel utility. It took a while to test:

13. dillon
    May 12, 2016 at 11:34 pm

For all of those with the issue of ERROR 5 could not install driver packages etc … you have to go into the driver folders you are trying to install and right click on every single file individually, hit properties and then click unblock. Do this for every single file and you will soon be able to install it.

• OlssN
      June 17, 2016 at 11:47 am

+++ Was going nuts!

• Twitch
      June 29, 2016 at 8:30 am

Thank you!

14. May 9, 2016 at 9:27 am

Thank you so much, I had the worst time dealing with this….thank you!!!!!!!

• Ricky
      June 15, 2016 at 8:08 am

How do i download the boot.wim and install.wim files??

15. he4dhunt3r
    May 3, 2016 at 11:48 pm

Awesome, thanks!!

16. Jamie Woodward
    April 29, 2016 at 2:46 pm

Not sure if anyone else has posted this yet, but Intel has actually made its own dedicated piece of software for this (its meant for the Intel NUC but works just the same). Downloadable at: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility

17. Anonymous
    April 26, 2016 at 9:26 am

You sir, are fcking awesome, thanks a lot

18. Chad
    April 25, 2016 at 10:38 am

I have used this process to get Windows 7 installed on Dell 7510 laptop, however since it only has USB 3.0 ports on it, once Windows 7 is installed I cannot use my thumb drive to update any of the drivers.

Please help…

• Chad
      April 26, 2016 at 7:37 am

Please disregard. I had not only updated the boot.wim, not the install.wim.

Great write up! Thank you very much!

19. Milos
    April 19, 2016 at 4:07 am

Hey, there . This just solved my problem with installing WIN7 on Z170 intel board. Nothing worked even USB 2.0 port werent recognized by win installer. Elaboration in BIOS did nothing as well. Only integrating USB 3 drivers worked liked charmed. Thank you very much.

20. Anonymous
    April 17, 2016 at 7:16 am

Worked like a charm for win7 to skylake 6500/msi z170 gaming pro to bring the mouse/keyboard to life. Thank You!

21. Mike
    April 17, 2016 at 12:57 am

Travis,

Thank you for your very clear and helpful blog – the screenshots were particularly helpful.

Despite making some initial typing errors I have now succeeded in installing W7 on my Dell XPS13 9350.

22. catalin
    April 9, 2016 at 3:39 am

much appreciated !

23. R
    April 5, 2016 at 10:16 pm

Getting the following errors, could I get some help please??

I tried the cleanup command posted on here with no luck… Please help, I have no idea what to do.

• April 5, 2016 at 10:49 pm

What does your dism log file say? Also, how much free space do you have on your OS drive?

• R
        April 6, 2016 at 5:08 am

2016-04-06 00:07:36, Info DISM DISM.EXE: Executing command line: dism /image:mount /add-driver:”usb3″ /recurse
        2016-04-06 00:07:36, Info DISM DISM Provider Store: PID=1920 Getting the collection of providers from a local provider store type. – CDISMProviderStore::GetProviderCollection
        2016-04-06 00:07:36, Info DISM DISM Provider Store: PID=1920 Provider has not previously been encountered. Attempting to initialize the provider. – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider
        2016-04-06 00:07:36, Info DISM DISM Provider Store: PID=1920 Loading Provider from location C:\Windows\System32\Dism\WimProvider.dll – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider
        2016-04-06 00:07:36, Info DISM DISM Provider Store: PID=1920 Connecting to the provider located at C:\Windows\System32\Dism\WimProvider.dll. – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_LoadProvider
        2016-04-06 00:07:36, Info DISM DISM Provider Store: PID=1920 Loading Provider from location C:\Windows\System32\Dism\FolderProvider.dll – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider
        2016-04-06 00:07:36, Info DISM DISM Provider Store: PID=1920 Connecting to the provider located at C:\Windows\System32\Dism\FolderProvider.dll. – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_LoadProvider
        2016-04-06 00:07:36, Info DISM DISM Provider Store: PID=1920 Loading Provider from location C:\Windows\System32\Dism\CompatProvider.dll – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider
        2016-04-06 00:07:36, Info DISM DISM Provider Store: PID=1920 Connecting to the provider located at C:\Windows\System32\Dism\CompatProvider.dll. – CDISMProviderStore::Internal_LoadProvider
        2016-04-06 00:07:36, Info DISM DISM.EXE: Got the collection of providers. Now enumerating them to build the command table.
        2016-04-06 00:07:36, Info DISM DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: WimManager
        2016-04-06 00:07:36, Info DISM DISM.EXE: Succesfully registered commands for the provider: WimManager.
        2016-04-06 00:07:36, Info DISM DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: FolderManager
        2016-04-06 00:07:36, Info DISM DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: DISM Log Provider
        2016-04-06 00:07:36, Info DISM DISM.EXE: Attempting to add the commands from provider: Compatibility Manager
        2016-04-06 00:07:36, Info DISM DISM.EXE: Succesfully registered commands for the provider: Compatibility Manager.
        2016-04-06 00:07:37, Info DISM DISM Provider Store: PID=1920 Getting the collection of providers from a local provider store type. – CDISMProviderStore::GetProviderCollection
        2016-04-06 00:08:38, Error DISM DismHostLib: Failed to create DismHostManager remote object. Checking for dismhost.exe exit code.
        2016-04-06 00:08:38, Info DISM DismHostLib: Found dismhost.exe exit code.
        2016-04-06 00:08:38, Error DISM DISM Manager: PID=1920 Failed to create Dism Image Session in host. – CDISMManager::LoadImageSession(hr:0xc0000135)
        2016-04-06 00:08:38, Warning DISM DISM Manager: PID=1920 A problem ocurred loading the image session. Retrying… – CDISMManager::CreateImageSession(hr:0xc0000135)
        2016-04-06 00:09:38, Error DISM DismHostLib: Failed to create DismHostManager remote object. Checking for dismhost.exe exit code.
        2016-04-06 00:09:38, Info DISM DismHostLib: Found dismhost.exe exit code.
        2016-04-06 00:09:38, Error DISM DISM Manager: PID=1920 Failed to create Dism Image Session in host. – CDISMManager::LoadImageSession(hr:0xc0000135)
        2016-04-06 00:09:38, Error DISM DISM Manager: PID=1920 Failed to load the image session from the temporary location: C:\Users\LENOVO~1\AppData\Local\Temp\0A5C2A5C-7AD7-405F-925F-38CE325EA5BF – CDISMManager::CreateImageSession(hr:0xc0000135)
        2016-04-06 00:09:38, Error DISM DISM.EXE: Could not load the image session. HRESULT=C0000135
        2016-04-06 00:09:38, Error DISM DISM.EXE: Unable to start the servicing process for the image at ‘c:\Users\Lenovo T410\Desktop\USB3 Fix\mount’. HRESULT=C0000135
        2016-04-06 00:09:38, Info DISM DISM.EXE: Image session has been closed. Reboot required=no.
        2016-04-06 00:09:38, Info DISM DISM.EXE:
        2016-04-06 00:09:38, Info DISM DISM.EXE:

I don’t fully understand the second question but this PC that im using to try and setup the iso only has 37GB free. I appreciate any help, I am not knowledgeable in this at all. Thank you so much!

• April 6, 2016 at 7:00 am

Looks like it’s failing to create the session. Try creating a folder like c:\scratch and then add the flag ‘/ScratchDir:c:\scratch’ to the dism commands

• April 6, 2016 at 4:41 pm

I always build my iso and run anything that requires command prompt in the ROOT. This eliminates the need to miss a directory call and also helps keep the command short. Another hint that may be helpful…. use notepad to hack out all the commands, and copy & paste from notepad to the command line. This way you can debug your custom commands with greater ease and have less chance of error.
            Hope this helps.
            KD

24. April 1, 2016 at 1:09 am

Could you fix the two missing screenshots, and explain why you chose index such-and-such while adding the USB3 drivers?
    My boot.wim contains Microsoft Windows PE (x64) at index 1, and Microsoft Windows Setup x64 at index 2.
    My install.wim contains only Windows 7 Professional at index 1, so that one’s ok.

• April 6, 2016 at 5:07 pm

Hi Trond,

Sorry about those screenshots. They should be fixed now, for some reason I needed to relink to the original images as wordpress moved something around during the last update.

As far as the reasoning behind the indexes, if you need to run the Windows Recovery Environment then you will need to add the drivers to the Windows PE image (index 1 in the boot.wim) as well. I’m pretty sure all Windows 7 installation media has the same boot.wim, so index:2 should work for everyone. However the install.wim is different based on what version you have: All in One, Enterprise, Ultimate, Professional, Home Premium, Home, etc. So you will need to add it to the index that you are going to be installing so that after the initial boot.wim finishes copying over the files and you are presented with the initial “Welcome to your computer / first boot setup” screen you will still be able to use your usb devices. You can skip the install.wim if the machine will have internet access as it can download the USB3 drivers from Windows Updates. However in my experience it seems like a lot of onboard NICs will not work until the drivers are installed from the manufacturer, and so the machine will not have internet access on first boot even if it is plugged in. Kind of a catch-22 unless you install the NIC drivers OR USB3 drivers before hand.

25. anonymous
    March 25, 2016 at 8:32 pm

Thank you so much for posting this! I’m using a Sager NP8658-S and it only has USB 3.0 ports. I used this method and finally got the Windows installer to continue.

26. Anonymous
    March 23, 2016 at 10:02 am

Trying to install Win7 Pro on a IntelNUC and this fixes my drivers up until it enters the Set Up Windows and asks you to enter a username. At this point the drivers stop working again… The version of Windows maybe?

Any idea?

• March 23, 2016 at 4:10 pm

Sounds like the install.wim isn’t recognizing the usb ports / devices. Did you add the drivers to the appropriate windows version in the install.wim file? Also, if the network adapter doesn’t need special drivers, if it has internet access it might be able to grab drivers via windows updates once it gets to that screen.

• March 24, 2016 at 6:21 am

Sounds like the drivers were not incorporated in the package.
        Take a look at my post above and follow the methods I used to inject the drivers into your installation media.

Worked great for me.

27. March 21, 2016 at 9:04 am

Hi,

I am getting the below error while updating install.wim, I have unmounted and tried many times, still now luck

C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /mount-wim /wimfile:”E:\OS Files\install.wim” /mountdir:mount /index=3

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.10586.0

Error: 13

The data is invalid.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

• Anonymous
      March 23, 2016 at 10:00 am

Any idea?

28. Andrew
    March 15, 2016 at 12:59 pm

Excellent tutorial. Looks complicated at first but it’s simple. Thanks!!!

29. Craig
    March 13, 2016 at 3:54 am

Excellent guide. Thank you very much!! Saved me with a Win 7 install onto m.2 drives with USB3 only!

30. Anonymous
    March 8, 2016 at 12:17 pm

Thank you very much. This finally worked for me. Used on mini-ITX motherboard Gigabyte GA-N3050N-D2P which has only USB 3.0 ports.

• Anonymous
      March 11, 2016 at 4:10 pm

Which drivers did you use?

31. Bob Rekab
    March 5, 2016 at 4:20 am

went like a charm end to end faster than slipstreaming drivers with other utilitys. A whole lot better than downloading that immense WAIK kit from Microsoft and simpler too. If you have an HP then d/load 7zip and run it on the service pack to extract the drivers and do it that way although the above drivers work fine for mine. nicely laid out and well put article but follow the commands to every last dot and dash or it wont work. Nice one 🙂

• Bob Rekab
      March 5, 2016 at 4:29 am

I should amend that to softpaq by HP with newer computers your going to hit the driver issue and even the drivers for win 7 take some hunting on the web page best of luck now on to fix the UEFI issue with win 7

• Bob Rekab
        March 15, 2016 at 8:55 am

check out these links there is indeed a utility that will do all that above in a GUI. http://www.vladan.fr/dism-gui-4-0-utility/https://dismgui.codeplex.com this really works well and does a whole lot more. I am still discovering just what I can do with it. It speeds up the drivers thing no end and better than typing long strings. OBTW should you have and ESD file look around for a decoder to extract the wim files and either run the above commands and inst. or use this util. Both work equally well. The ESD decoder is in a few places and even M/soft recommend it. Strange them recommending basically a Linux utility but it works well as all the latest OS isos from M/soft come with ESD files just however with DISM and the decoder depending on your machine it does take time good fixs they maybe but time consuming they are once again awesome web site you put me on the right track and OBTW I fixed the UEFI Win 7 boot issue with a little known utility called win2boot (Linux again) once again thx a bundle 🙂 Bob

32. Anonymous
    March 2, 2016 at 10:14 am

Thank you, you are my hero!

33. Anonymous
    March 1, 2016 at 7:19 pm

I don’t usually say thank you to these kind of posts…but…THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!! REALLY APPRECIATE THIS :D!

34. Jason
    February 25, 2016 at 1:22 pm

What is missing from this article is dism /cleamup-wim which will help with 0xc1420127 The specified image in the specified wim is already mounted for read/write access

• Jason
      February 25, 2016 at 1:24 pm

Oops.. that’s dism /cleanup-wim

• February 25, 2016 at 1:59 pm

Nice, I’ll add that to the article. Just a nice step to do when using dism to mount / unmount wims.

35. Traxx
    February 17, 2016 at 12:22 am

Hi can I really need some help on this same problem:

I was able to successfully complete boot.wim & Get-WimInfo stage. BUT when i start the install.wim:

Error: 0xc1420127 “The specified image in the specified wim is already mounted for read/write access”

And when I skip to the next step Add-Driver:

Error: 2 “Unable to access the image. Make sure that the image path and the Windows directory for the image exist and you have Read permissions on the folder.”

Note:
    -I have open Admin:Command Prompt

Pls desperately need some assistance.

36. February 9, 2016 at 5:24 pm

Very useful guide, thank you

37. Boris
    January 25, 2016 at 12:49 pm

Hello everyone,

first of all thanks a lot to Travis for this guide. Second, reading all those comments I found myself in need to write this – I managed to install Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 x64 EN with no problems following this instructions (someone said it is not possible for Enterprise).

I was installing Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 x64 EN on NUCi3SYH. Created bootable stick from iso using Iso2Disc tool. After that, copied boot.wim and install.wim. I copied only files from my Drivers\Win7\x64 folder, not whole Drivers like in gude, rest done as instructed and installed os with no problem.

P.S. At first I did copy whole Drivers folder, and managed to get my keyboard and mouse working on first setup screen (language settings) and started installation but it crashed after copying files, but also I used another tool – Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool, not Iso2Disc, so I can’t say for sure was the problem because whole Drivers folder or because boot cration tool – I would say it was because of tool.

Br, Boris

• Anonymous
      February 3, 2016 at 12:54 am

I use Win 8.0, so simple and solved is the problem…

• statik
        February 9, 2016 at 9:15 pm

we’re not talking about windows 8 ya douche

• Cameron
        May 5, 2016 at 7:39 am

I believe win 8 is even a bigger headache than this….

May you suffer the joys that Win 8 brings 🙂

38. For the VIA driver go here now.
    December 24, 2015 at 11:29 pm
  39. ricklau
    December 18, 2015 at 9:42 pm

My laptop is Lenovo Flex-2, it has two USB2.0 and one USB3.0, however, with and without your method, it always has the “A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing”, the reason I downgrade windows 8 to windows 7 is my laptop suddenly had blue screen of “critical_process_died”

• undefined
      January 21, 2016 at 12:25 pm

I had same problem. It’s because you did not use correct drivers ( they should be provided by your motherboard vendor) do not use the intel driver linked in the article if it’s not working for you, you have to use correct driver version.

40. December 14, 2015 at 6:42 am

Awww yisss! Thank you for this!! I knew it could be done, but you just made it easy!!

Also, some may need to use ‘1’ as their index #. I had too.

41. Juanito
    December 11, 2015 at 1:51 am

Indeed, it doesn’t work with Windows 7 for nuc5ppyh device. It’s is enough to use the tool intel provided and worked like a charm.

42. Rodrigo
    December 10, 2015 at 7:53 pm

Guys I’m having problem with the second stage… with BOOT.wim it`s everything ok, as like the post…

But When I try to “read” the install.wim to find the index 1/2/3/4/5 I got Error:13 Invalid data

What I need to do ?

43. mike
    December 8, 2015 at 8:33 am

Thanks, Travis. This worked great with Intel USB3 drivers.

44. Milo
    December 4, 2015 at 12:44 pm

good job

45. chipster4
    December 3, 2015 at 10:16 am

Hi! Im French then sorry for my bad english:

I follow all the instruction until the updating of “install.wim”. Then, the instalation of the 6 drivers always fails! And i don’t know why! i just have, at the end, the error 15105.

Then i can’t go further. Please help me! :'(

• December 9, 2015 at 4:34 am

I had same problem but I disabled McAfee Access Protection and on Access Scanner and that worked for me.

• Anonymous
      March 5, 2016 at 10:44 am

Had the same Problem and fixed it in about 8 hours..
      When you move the Drivers-Folder to your USB3-Folder which you have created, go to HCSwitch/x64 and right-click on every File, go to Properties. Down in the properties-window it says that the File is not safe. Press “Unblock” or something like that so that your Computer knows it’s a safe file. Do this with all the files in HCSwitch/x64, HCSwitch/x86, Win7/x64 and Win7/x86.
      Then try it again and it should work

Cheers

• RR
        March 14, 2016 at 9:41 pm

Thanks! That just saved my moring!!!!!!!

• YouSavedMyDay
        March 16, 2016 at 7:37 am

Wow – that solved my problem too. I started yesterday afternoon with the Intel Win7 USB3 Creator Utility and was unsuccessful. Then started this morning with dism and got an error when adding each usb3 driver. Been looking everywhere for information. Followed your advice in properties window for each driver file and now it works! Thanks!!!!

• Cameron
        May 5, 2016 at 8:59 am

Brilliant, you saved my insanity.

My ‘Brix’ almost became a ‘brick’ hurtling back towards the shop window where I bought it.

Never had this problem with Ubuntu

Many thanks to all

• Anonymous
        June 11, 2016 at 8:02 am

I was stuck with access denied with the /add-driver in install.wim all day I could finally get it sorted thanks to your hint!!!

46. Rick
    November 19, 2015 at 11:51 am

Intel made it more easy for us, it will do the above steps with one click of a button.

• Hassan
      November 21, 2015 at 5:20 pm

it is taking a lot of time … an hour has been but isn’t finished yet !!!

• Rick
        November 22, 2015 at 2:28 am

I only used it once and it was ready within 10 minutes on my computer. You can try the manual may if the Intel tool doesn’t work. Or Intel has a FAQ which can help.